Saturday 22 September 2012

Hills, hills and more hills!

Monday- rest
Tuesday- rest
Wednesday- 40x Primrose Hill
Thursday- gym session
Friday- 24km
Saturday- 21km at Box Hill
Sunday- 23km at Box Hill

After last week's high mileage, my goal this week was to run up as many hills as possible! The jungle course is notoriously hilly and I've been told that this year is going to be hillier than ever.

After a great session on Primrose Hill (see previous blog) I hit the gym hard on Thursday, doing more Tabata training. When you're short of time there's no better way to maximise your work out. As I've mentioned previously, Tabata interval training involves 20 seconds of intense exercise (such as push up), followed by 10 seconds recovery, repeated 8 times.

I did 2x squats, push ups and lunges + one extra squats, which took just 42 minutes. It really hurt, especially after Primrose Hill on the previous day and hopefully sessions like this will improve my strength on the hills!

Living in London isn't ideal for hill training and so after a flat 24km run along the River Thames on Friday, I headed out of London to Box Hill for my weekend runs. The trails on the North Downs Way are the closest thing I have found to how I imagine the jungle trails will be and my average speed of  9km/h (compared to 12km/h on flat ground) shows how hilly the course is. I ran up as many hills as I could find and repeated this run on the Sunday as well!

Hopefully my body is starting to adapt to hill running. It's definitely going to remain the focus of my training until I leave in 2 weeks. On the advice of Mark Hines (author of The Jungle Marathon book) I have decided against running the Windsor Ultra (75km along The Thames) as the course is too flat. Instead I will head down to Dorset to tackle the hilly paths of the Jurassic Coast!!!


The beautiful North Downs Way at Box Hill



One of the hills on the North Downs Way






No comments:

Post a Comment