Saturday 29 September 2012

Last week of training before Brazil!

Another round of vaccinations left me with two dead arms again and another less than perfect training week. With the race so close I wasn't too concerned about training less as I didn't want to be worn out for when the race starts.

However, I did squeeze in a Tabata interval session (see earlier blogs for details) and this involved 480 body weight squats and 480 lunges... needless to say I couldn't walk the next day, but still a great session to build confidence before the race. 

Once again the focus of the week would be heading down to Dorset to re-run the Dorset Doddle Ultra-marathon course. Storms were predicted and it had already been raining for 24 hours.

I set off from Weymouth and even the kite surfers were struggling with the strong winds. My new shoes couldn't find grip and a number of times I found myself either on my backside or slipping down hills. The going was slow and 5 hours in to my run I was losing daylight and the winds were picking up. I had only passed about 3 people on the footpaths all day, which gives you an idea of how horrible the conditions were. It became too dangerous to run as I was running along the cliff edge and so I had to cut the run short. I ran for about 6 hours and only managed 28 miles, but it was a gritty and dangerous run and the perfect way to end my preparation for the toughest footrace in the World!

No comments:

Post a Comment