Wednesday 8 August 2012

Preparing for the 100km stage!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, only 14 people finished the 100km stage in last year's race. I suppose this isn't surprising considering that it's 2 and a half marathons in 1 day! I think that this is where huge amounts of time can be won and lost in the race and so I am going to prepare as much as I can for this stage. Ideally over the next 6 weeks I will do a 50km run, followed by a 60km, 70km and 84km run and I'd aim to do all the runs at 3 hour 30 marathon pace (12km/h).

On Saturday I ran my first ultra-marathon. An ultra-marathon is any distance over the marathon distance of 26 miles and I managed to run 30 miles (50km). It was a long and lonely run up the Thames Path, but I managed to make a few friends along the way to pass some of the time. It took 4 hours and 10 minutes and I was pleased that I managed to run at 3 hours 30 minutes marathon pace. It had been a really tough week before the run as I had moved house and had a busy week of work and so it was great to get a long run like this under my belt. As you can see from the 2 videos attached, I was really struggling and there is still a long way to go before I'm in Jungle Marathon shape!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment